Friday, December 24, 2021

Switching between Kerberos & Unix Authentication mechanism

 I had installed kerberos by mistake on my local VM for skol linux and ever since it would allow to create  users but won't allow to change password. Actually I had no need of Kerberos and had selected the option by mistake while installing the VM. 

Now, even after removing all kerberos packages and rebooting, it still did not exit my system. So I wanted local unix authentication. 

Problems faced: allowing creation of new user, but not allowing to set password

The solution is to use pam-auth-update and the resulting menu will allow you to unselect kerberos and keep the unix authentication. 

unselect kerberos authentication, block password change unix users and suggest Gosa instead and you are good for setting password of local users using unix authentication

No comments: